ADAM issue when re-installing ISA Server 2006
Today, to test something else, I tried to install ISA Server 2006 EE on a Windows Server 2003 Std R2 SP2 which is running on Virtual Server 2005 R2 (there is no domain at all), because I only mounted one CD image for ISA package and when it prompted for Windows Server CD2 for ADAM, I just switch the CD images and switched back later, I think because the VS latency or something else made the ISA installation unsuccessful and it just rolled back, but left the ADAM instance in the system.
When I tried to install ISA again, I got the following error message, and later I saw the error code is 0x80070643. It obviously ADAM related. Add/Remove programs shows "Adam Instance ISASTGCTRL" item, but there’s no remove option.
I did two steps before reinstalled ISA again.
1, Refer to this article in ISA Team Blog – http://blogs.technet.com/isablog/archive/2009/03/31/transferring-configuration-storage-server-fsmo-roles.aspx, I actually just wanted to go through the steps described in the article.
1. Open an ADAM tools command prompt on ISA2.
2. At the command prompt, type: dsmgmt
3. At the dsmgmt: command prompt, type: roles
4. At the fsmo maintenance: command prompt, type: connections
5. At the server connections: command prompt, type: connect to server ISA2:2171
Note: ISA2:2171 is the computer name and communications port number of the ADAM instance that you want to use as the new naming master. In this case connect to server localhost:2171 would also work.
6. At the server connections: command prompt, type: quit
7. At the fsmo maintenance: command prompt, type: seize naming master
8. At the fsmo maintenance: command prompt, type: seize schema master
2, Run the following command to remove the ISASTGCTRL instance in ADAM:
Then I ran the ISA setup again, and this time it’s completed successfully. I am not sure which step above actually fix the issue. Something strange is, it didn’t prompt me for the Array Name this time, after installation I just found the array name is same as server name – ISA2.
I don’t know how to explain every step that I tried, will re-pro the issue when I have time.
I should’ve added two more reference here in case you get ADAM(0x80072020) error after installation: