Power searching with Google – course notes
- Search/filter image results by colour(overall/background) and visual property (style, similarity).
- Boldface in results are Google associates (联想、近义词).
- Higher in results: Having the words or synonyms; Appear in the title or URL; Linked by high quality pages.
- Word order matters. Capitalization does not matter.
- Most special characters (¶, £, €, ©, ®, ÷, §, %, (), @, ?, !) are ignored in the query, except +, # $, etc.
- Find words in the page – Ctrl-F or Cmd-F, this is not search.
- Upper-right-hand side panel for search entity that is well-known; Search-as-you-type; Related searches at the bottom of the page.
- search “define keyword”, dictionary definition and translation, and Search Tools in the left panel.
- SERP – Search Engine Results Page; rollover preview; title/URL/snippet(abstract)/deeper-links.
- Operator site:domain, including top level domain where the dot can be omitted.
- Operator filetype:pdf, doc, docx, ppt, txt, csv, etc.
- Minus (-) operator to exclude certain keywords.
- OR operator and double-quote.
- Operator “intext:”.
- Advanced search – gear button.
- Search by image: drag-and-drop local file to image search.
- Search features – descript your query – geo, measure, time, flight, weather, movie showtime, etc.
- Conversions [number unit1 in unit2], also currency
- Left hand panel “show search tool” – date range limiting, custom range
- Translation – left hand panel
- Credibility … use time search
- Use Books
- Use WHOIS
[to be continued …]